With worldwide demand for soya increasing steadily over recent years, the price of soya has increased steadily with it.
Huge demand from China and South East Asia, as well as bio-fuels use, and increasing demand for GM free Soya, have all served to more than double the price of soya beans in the last five years.
There is huge market demand here in the UK, and with new varieties and our extensive knowledge of the crop, Soya UK are well placed to provide for this market. We can offer contracts for both conventional and organic growers in the southern half of the UK.
Why Grow Soya?
- Seed Production
- Identity Preserved
Soya UK have been working with Soya since 1998. Many years of trials and development has given us a solid base of the best varieties for the UK and a comprehensive knowledge of the crop.
All our varieties are non-GM Soya UK varieties have a number of beneficial features in terms of plant architecture, ease of harvest, earliness, and adaptation to UK latitudes.
This is incredibly important for growing soya in the UK where earliness and harvestability are key to being able to grow the crop.
Crop values remain high, and growers on light land in the South can grow this late-sown crop.
- Excellent, low input break crop.
- Soya is the very best crop for tackling blackgrass.
- Minimal pest & disease problems.
- Rotationally compatible with peas and beans.
- Leaves high nitrogen legacy for following crop.
- Easy to combine, leaves no trash, does not lodge, shed or split.
- No volunteer problems in following crop.
- Good choice of herbicides for weed control.
- There is a HUGE market for our UK grown, non-GM Soya varieties (and it is not a picky market, with the quality criteria being easily achieved by most growers).
Pre-inoculated Seed Exclusively from Soya UK
Soya UK now offers all Soya seed as pre-inoculated seed.
This system simplifies the drilling operation by avoiding the need for the grower to inoculate the seed in the drill with separate sachets of rhizobium inoculant and will allow growers of larger areas to take seed in 500kg bags, ready to go into the drill.
Since 2007, this has been our standard system, and remains exclusive to Soya UK Ltd, although seed is still available for situations where the use of sachets is preferable. Pre-inoculated seed is available in either 500kg or 25kg bags
You can download more information about benefits for using Soya, its agronomy and contracts available.
[To view PDF documents you will need a version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.]
Soya agronomy is well established and straightforward. Much depends on selecting the correct variety in the first place and then following the advice below:
- Sow in late April/ Early May.
- Apply pre-emergence chemical.
- Spray broadleaved weeds with post-emergence herbicide, usually around 5 weeks from sowing in late May.
- Possible inclusion of a fungicide with this post-emergence herbicide to guard against sclerotinia in thick crops.
- Apply a graminicide 2 weeks later if grass weeds are a problem (e.g. wild oats, barren brome, black grass, etc).
Apply a desiccant prior to harvest.